[ldns-users] Access to raw rdata in ressource records

Simon Vallet svallet at genoscope.cns.fr
Wed May 2 15:08:54 UTC 2007

On Wed, 02 May 2007 16:04:35 +0200
Jelte Jansen <jelte at NLnetLabs.nl> wrote:
> Simon Vallet wrote:

> Cool, let me know how you are faring, and how we can improve on ldns.

I certainly will

> > Looking a bit at the API documentation, I wonder wether it is possible
> > to have access to the raw rdata in an RR (i.e. a size and a void *,
> > rather than an ldns_rdf **). Best for us would be to have a drop-in
> > replacement for more common resolver functions, and as some apps do the
> > rdata parsing themselves, I'd rather not reassemble a raw rdata to
> > parse it again once we're out of the compatibility layer.
> >

> For individual rdata fields, or do you want to read out the complete
> rdata from an rr in one void*?

Well, access to individual rdata fields is practical, since it is
already parsed in an ldns_rdf **. But what I'm looking for is a pointer
to the complete rdata from an rr, yes.

It is not a big problem, since reassembling it from the ldns_rdf array
is quite trivial, but I just wanted to make sure it was necessary. It
seems the answer is yes.

Thanks,
Simon