[nsd-users] reloading NSD zone configuration

Mohammad H. Al-Shami mshami at tagorg.com
Wed Apr 29 05:05:08 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I've been interested in this issue for a while now, and I hope NSD has that soon. But for the time being I propose a workaround.

I'm not a big fan of zone transfers, hated them since the day I set up my first DNS server. Currently I use a patched version of VegaDNS with a backend Perl script to manage my zones. The Perl script generates the configration and zone files then copies them to all my servers.

As for adding/removing a zone, at the end of the Perl script:
1) Shut down server A
2) Wait 5 seconds
3) Start server A
4) Wait 5 seconds
5) Shut down server B

With this you have only one of your servers restarting at a certain moment.

When I wrote the script just restarting NSD caused it to generate an error, if I remember correctly it couldn't bind to port 53. This happened only the first time NSD was restarted after a server reboot, which was weird. Since the script worked properly as it is I haven't bothered in checking it again.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Mohammad H. Al-Shami