[nsd-users] nsd utilize 100% cpu

Vadim vvatlin at yandex.ru
Fri Dec 11 15:52:53 UTC 2009

Paul Wouters wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Dec 2009, Vadim wrote:
>
>>> Apparently nsd writes each domain label separately, without any attempt
>>> to batch writes.  It's much better than writing by single char as some
>>> other programs are doing but worse still than batching writes in at
>>> least
>>> 512byte blocks like stdio is doing.

>>> How long it takes total?
>> I ran again nsdc patch and nsd utilized  100% cpu about 10 minutes
>
> You mean nsdc rebuild? I wouldn't expect nsd patch to take that long.
> Though
> AFAIK, nsd patch should not affect the nameserver operations going on.
No. I mean nsdc patch. I don't know what nsd do at this time, because
command nsd patch works:
time nsdc patch > /dev/null 2>&1

real    0m43.057s
user    0m15.181s
sys     0m1.404s

But after that, nsd process begin utilize 100% cpu for a long time. I
showed strace above.

Look what I see in top:
  PID USER      PR  NI  VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+
COMMAND

26044 nsd       25   0  204m 193m  356 R 99.9    37.8     32:05.96
nsd

for 20 minutes now. Also I have upgraded nsd to 3.2.3 version but I see
the same behaviour.