Bad compression pointer

Erik Rozendaal erik at NLnetLabs.nl
Wed Dec 17 09:37:45 UTC 2003

Peter Hessler wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 08:48:07PM +0100, Erik Rozendaal wrote:
> :Ok, looks like reload is a probable cause of the problem.  I haven't
> :done a lot of testing of this code path for 1.4.0-alpha1 (that's why it
> :is alpha :) ).  I'll look into this tomorrow.
> :
> :Thanks,
> :Erik
> :
>
> It is entirely possible that it is an endian problem.  I wasn't able
> to get nsd 1.2.3 to work on my macppc server (but I didn't try very
> hard).

I was able to reproduce the compression bug on Linux/x86 so this particular
problem is not endian related: NSD 1.4.0-alpha1 fails to reinitialize the
compression tables after a database reload causing compression failures
(and probably crashes and other weird problems).  As a temporary workaround
you can restart NSD instead of using reload.  The reload bug will be fixed
in NSD 2.0.0.

Do you have any more information on the problems of nsd 1.2.3 on macppc?

Thanks,
Erik