nsd running as slave

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Jul 9 14:19:14 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 10:12:15AM -0400,
 Sebastian Castro <secastro at nic.cl> wrote
 a message of 29 lines which said:

> I haven't good experience about it. The primary is a BIND 9 server,
> sending notifies to my testing server. nsd seems to ignore notifies

Indeed. I believe it is even documented somewhere.

> What should I do to prepare a nsd to be slave?

Two realistic solutions and an experimental one:

* use a "logfile monitor" (we use SEC
<URL:http://kodu.neti.ee/~risto/sec>) with a regexp of "nsd.*notify
from" and an action of "nsdc update".

* use cron to recompile every hour or less (ns2.nic.fr receives one
NOTIFY every ten minutes, there is not really any point in waiting for
them, we just recompile periodically).

* (Untested) see what's new in NSD 1.2 (just released). May be there
is a notify-handler plugin?