Handling of zone transfers and notify messages

Miek Gieben miekg at atoom.net
Mon Oct 18 08:08:24 UTC 2004

[On 15 Oct, @ 17:14, Erik wrote in "Re: Handling of zone transfers ..."]
> Robert E.Seastrom wrote:
> >One problem I've noticed (hopefully fixed in newer versions) is that
> >"nsdc update" does not deal gracefully with having an expired or
> >non-transferable zone.  To my way of thinking it should either build
> >nsd.db including the expired data but unset the authority bit in
> >replies or simply leave the zone out of nsd.db rather than refusing to
> >update the database for the other zones.
>
> I actually wasn't aware of this problem. So this has not been fixed in
> any version of NSD. Whatever the fix (if any) may be of course.

looking at the code segment in nsdc (in nsd 2.1.2 - but this code has
been fairly stable for some time IIRC). It's basicly: [in semi perl]

foreach $zone (@zones) {
	axfr $zone  > $zone_file

	if ($zone_file  newer  $nsd_db)
		$rebuild = yes;
}

if ($rebuild == $yes)
	nsdc rebuild && nsdc reload

So if one zonetranser succeeds the db is rebuild. If for whatever
reason a transfers fails, then nsd will keep on serving the old
data.

Is this not the desired behavior? Or am I missing something (obvious)?

grtz Miek