missing query-source/transfer-source in nsd

Sebastian E. Castro Avila secastro at nic.cl
Tue May 23 17:44:35 UTC 2006

On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 10:05:49 -0300, Miek Gieben <miekg at atoom.net> wrote:

>> Are there any plans to add such a feature to nsd? Especially people who
>> want
>> to migrate from bind to nsd are likely to run both of them on the same
>> server
>> for a while (or even permanently if they need bind to recurse).
>>
>> As a workaround, I've added both IP's as masters in the secondaries'
>> named.conf.
>
> my guess is that this is a bug, a long time ago there was something
> simular with regard to sending queries from a different ip address.
> The same fix should apply here (I hope :))

Hi everyone.

I made a patch for nsd-notify.c to support a new option: "-a address".
This option allows to specify the source address of the notify message.
I've tested it against a BIND secondary server and it is working.
(Basically I checked nsd-xfer for the necessary code)

Probably a change in nsd.zones would be necessary, to include a
"notify-source" directive.

What should I do to submit the patch?

Moreover, I made a small patch in server.c (part of nsd binary) to print
the address when a "can't bind the socket" message is triggered.

Regards

Sebastian E. Castro Avila             sebastian at nic.cl
Administrador de DNS, NIC Chile