[nsd-users] allow-notify on localhost

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Fri Sep 21 16:11:40 UTC 2007

On Fri, 21 Sep 2007, Wouter Wijngaards wrote:

> >> So we are eager to find out why people are still using it, to see
> >> whether there are good reasons to keep it or to possibly make life
> >> easier for users.

It's basically the same reason why people still drive manual cars. We
mistakingly think we know better :)

I use it to explicitely send NOTIFY's when I see the primary is still
behind on what I have.

> > I occasionally use it as a debugging tool.  Would be nice if it could
> > send the SOA serial, too (not sure this is covered by RFC 1996).

And for that too.

> ldns-notify (from the ldns examples) takes -s soa-serial as option.

Oh, i didn't know that. Does nsd act on that information when it
receives such a notify such as not do an AXFR if it already has the zone
with that serial?

I also use nsd-xfer to grab zones that are not maintained by the local
nsd and then process the zones (add DS, SSHFP, etc and sign) and inject
the signed zones back into the local nsd.

Paul