[nsd-users] Logfile/verbosity and master/slave

Lew Payne lew.payne at gmail.com
Wed Dec 10 22:34:57 UTC 2008

Wouter and Arnt - Thank you for your answers to my previous questions.

So far, nsd (3.2.0) is behaving nicely, with roughly 200 zones that it
is authoritative for.

Being able to import BIND8 zone files was a big bonus, as is having a
CLI (nsdc).

Can you tell me if nsd logs erroneous or broken queries?  For example;
queries for non-authoritative domains, malformed queries (common with
exploit scripts), and queries for non-existent sub-domains (within our
authoritative zone - NXDOMAIN)?  These are all very useful for
security purposes, and I (used to, until I switched) use them to feed
a daemon that tracks them and takes evasive action when necessary (via
ipfw radix table entries).

Is there any chance of getting this type of logging, at a certain
verbosity setting?

Regards,
Lew Payne