[nsd-users] nsd and xfer testing

Aaron Glenn aaron.glenn at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 04:35:33 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 4:24 PM, Adapa, Srinivasa
<Srinivasa.Adapa at neustar.biz> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new bee to NSD.
>
> I am doing performance testing of NSD for ixfers. The NSD is throwing
> following error message in log:
>
> [1221002555] nsd[31272]: error: xfrd: zone us received bad query id from
> 10.91.131.15, dropped
>
> This happens under high xfers transfers notifications from master
> (master = 10.91.131.15). The master is a bind server (9.3.x) and slave
> is NSD 3.1.1
>
> Is any one know what this error message mean? I am not seeing any side
> affects with xfer zone data though.

haven't seen it. not (much) of a coder, but let's look at the relevant code.

        /* only check ID in first response message. Could also check that
         * AA bit and QR bit are set, but not needed.
         */
        DEBUG(DEBUG_XFRD,2, (LOG_INFO,
                "got query with ID %d and %d needed", ID(packet),
zone->query_id));
        if(ID(packet) != zone->query_id) {
                log_msg(LOG_ERR, "xfrd: zone %s received bad query id
from %s, dropped",
                        zone->apex_str, zone->master->ip_address_spec);
                return xfrd_packet_bad;
        }

I'd start by rebuilding NSD with debug and see what you're getting
versus what NSD expects (-:

aaron.glenn