[nsd-users] patch for nsd using hardcoded name "nsd"

Paul Wouters paul at xelerance.com
Thu Jul 16 17:01:24 UTC 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Tom Hendrikx wrote:

> Wouldn't it be much easier and cleaner to make both instances write to a
> separate logfile, /var/log/nsd vs /var/log/nsdhm (or whatever you're
> preferred name would be)?

The logging was not really my problem. It just caused confusion for me
since both instances are setup to use syslog, and I expected one to be
called "nsd" and the other "nsdhm".

> There are many (linux) distributions that support multiple instances of
> the same server (with multiple config files) out of the box in their
> init scripts.

Mostly, the problem is with stale pid files, and the use of "pidof" to
determine if a certain instance is still running. Having different
names makes them fully independant of each other.

Paul