[nsd-users] NSD does not automatically start on FreeBSD reboot

Olafur Osvaldsson osvaldsson at icelandic.net
Thu Mar 18 00:59:52 UTC 2010

Hi,
Being the NSD FreeBSD port maintainer I noticed this thread on the list
(although I still didn't receive your report to me directly).  I have long
ago stopped running FreeBSD+NSD setups but have been maintaining the port
the best I can, its open for grabs if anyone is interested...

>From what it looks to me I have to ask if you remembered to put
nsd_enable="YES" into your /etc/rc.conf file?

The rc.d scripts do not have to end with ".sh", it affects how they are run,
".sh" scripts are sourced into the current shell rather than a subshell and
the startup process will terminate if the script does, non ".sh" scripts on
the other hand are not sourced into the current shell and do not stop the
startup process if they terminate.  As far as I know this also applies to
FreeBSD 6.0

/Oli