[nsd-users] nsd zonefile format

Peter Koch pk at denic.de
Tue Nov 9 14:50:11 UTC 2010

Matthijs,

> This is according to spec. RFC 1035 says that omitted class and TTL
> values are default to the last explicitly stated values. If you want the
> records after the MX to have a TTL of 1d, you should add explicitly say

RFC2308, introducing $TTL and updating RFC1035, says:

   The Master File format [RFC 1035 Section 5] is extended to include
   the following directive:

                           $TTL <TTL> [comment]

   All resource records appearing after the directive, and which do not
   explicitly include a TTL value, have their TTL set to the TTL given
   in the $TTL directive. [...]

It appears to me that "after the directive" and "which do not explicitly
include a TTL value" overrides the RFC 1035 inheritance rule.  We might
need a spec clarification here, though.

-Peter