[nsd-users] CNAME for domain.tld failing

Mans Nilsson mansaxel at besserwisser.org
Thu Jan 6 21:10:35 UTC 2011

Subject: [nsd-users] CNAME for domain.tld failing Date: Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 03:01:20PM -0600 Quoting Bobb Voigt (smyl at lyms.org):
> I'm sure this has been documented _somewhere_ but i've been unable to

"If a CNAME RR is present at a node, no other data should be
 present; this ensures that the data for a canonical name and its aliases
 cannot be different.  This rule also insures that a cached CNAME can be
 used without checking with an authoritative server for other RR types."

RFC1034, section 3.6.2. What you are trying to do is illegal, and has
been so as long as DNS has existed.

HTH, HAND

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668