[nsd-users] nsd 3.2.9 released

Shane Kerr shane at isc.org
Thu Nov 24 10:35:07 UTC 2011

Matthijs,

On Wed, 2011-11-23 at 11:17 +0100, Matthijs Mekking wrote:
> - Minimize responses to reduce truncation: NSD will only add optional
>   records to the authority and additional sections when the response
>   size does not exceed the minimal response size.
>
>   The minimal response size is 512 (no-EDNS), 1480 (EDNS/IPv4),
>   1220 (EDNS/IPv6), or the advertized EDNS buffer size if that is
>   smaller than the EDNS default.

I'm curious why you choose to ignore the EDNS buffer size when it is
advertised (unless smaller than 1480/1220).

I see that NSD already uses the minimum MTU when possible on the system.
In principle this means that UDP packets should be fragmented by the
kernel, so should already be sending IP packets that make it across the
network without many problems.

Do you have any data on how much of a problem this causes and avoids in
some production networks?

--
Shane