[nsd-users] test setup problem: secondary expires zones

Toni Mueller support+nsd at oeko.net
Sat Feb 11 20:02:53 UTC 2012

Hi Dmitry,

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 09:33:30PM +0200, Dmitry Kohmanyuk wrote:
> On Feb 11, 2012, at 8:54 PM, Toni Mueller wrote:
> > With 46.29.40.35 being the IP of the primary. These packages even run on
> > the same host. When I initially set things up, everything went fine: NSD
> > pulled the zones, and, with "nsdctl patch", wrote them to local zone
> > files, too.
>
> I assume that your prmary server runs on .35 address and nsd server runs on .34 -- you have not

right.

> included relevant portions of your configuration.  If one (or both) of those servers use default address

sorry. No, both servers are pinned on their respective IPs. From my
nsd.conf:

server:
        # uncomment to specify specific interfaces to bind (default
	# all).
	ip-address: 46.29.40.34

and for the djbdns combo, it's

# cat /service/axfrdns/env/IP
46.29.40.35

My nsd is this (Debian Squeeze, amd64):
ii  nsd3                        3.2.8-3~bpo60+2

> also, for notify messages to work, you better allow nsd to trust them (you already have statement there.)

djbdns does not understand any authentication, nor notifies. Therefore,
I have commented that out.

> they expire because nsd cannot transfer zones from your primary for some reason.

Yes - the question is, why can't nsd update zones from the server
_after_ initially pulling all zones in without any problem?

Unfortunately, the DNS decoder in tcpdump appears to be weak...

Kind regards,
--Toni++