[nsd-users] Two TCP segments to answer a query

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Fri Mar 2 08:52:28 UTC 2012

On 02/03/2012 07:12, Michael Tokarev wrote:

Hi Michael,

> There is no strong reason why NSD _should_ do this the way BIND
> does it.
>
> TCP is a STREAM of bytes, the "packetizing" of TCP is not specified
> in any standard at all.  An application can use various system-
> specific methods to express its preference (like TCP_CORK in linux),
> but even with these specified, TCP stack is allowed to divide the
> stream into packets more or less arbitrary.

Thanks for your long response. I am aware of how TCP works, and didn't
really say that this was a bug in NSD. I was just trying to understand
the difference in behaviour.

Wouter confirmed what I suspected anyway, that there was no TCP
optimisation done for NSD. That's enough of an explanation.

Regards,

Anand