[nsd-users] Featurerequest for nsd4

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Tue Jan 29 13:13:46 UTC 2013

Hi Andreas,

On 01/28/2013 01:24 PM, Andreas Schulze wrote:
> Hello Wouter,
>
> We used tinydns for many years. After migration to nsd3 we miss
> only one feature present in tinydns only:
>
> tinydns may switch addresses by decreasing the ttl for old data and
> serve new data starting from a fixed timestamp.
>
> http://cr.yp.to/djbdns/tinydns-data.html: You may include a
> timestamp on each line. If ttl is nonzero (or omitted), the
> timestamp is a starting time for the information in the line; the
> line will be ignored before that time. If ttl is zero, the
> timestamp is an ending time (``time to die'') for the information
> in the line; tinydns dynamically adjusts ttl so that the line's DNS
> records are not cached for more than a few seconds past the ending
> time. A timestamp is an external TAI64 timestamp, printed as 16
> lowercase hexadecimal characters. For example, the lines
>
> +www.heaven.af.mil:1.2.3.4:0:4000000038af1379
> +www.heaven.af.mil:1.2.3.7::4000000038af1379 ----
>
> Do you think, it could be possible with nsd too?

This is a fairly substantial feature request, and cannot be in NSD 4.0
(which is now in beta and such large features are no longer accepted).
 For 4.x, I am ambivalent, the question is how many people must have
this option versus its implementation complexity.

TTL=10 seconds instead of this feature, would that not have almost the
same semantics, except for higher server load before the timestamp is
reached?  Is it about server load, and I think not, because the
timestamp creates a high server load peak, where a normal changeover
with a fixed TTL spreads out the query volume.

Best regards,
   Wouter