[nsd-users] NSD 4.0 Upgrade

zongo saiba zongosaiba at gmail.com
Sun Nov 3 08:00:43 UTC 2013

On 03/11/2013 04:06, W.C.A. Wijngaards wrote:
> Hi Zongo,
>
> On 11/02/2013 12:03 PM, zongo saiba wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>
>> Upgraded to NSD 4.0 Perfect - all is working well.
>> I have just one question as far as an error in my logs popping up that
>> does not make much sense :)
>
>> 02/11/2013 18:58:45.794 nsd[10655]: /usr/local/etc/nsd.pid: file too short
>
> This is the error that nsd.db file has been shortened somehow, and it
> creates the nsd.db file anew.  So, you entered the nsd.pid filename into
> the database: configuration value.  And also as pid file I guess.  Then
> nsd creates a database and overwrites it with a very short pidfile.
> Next time it tries to read this and it is too short, it recreates the
> nsd.db from master zonefiles and zone transfers for secondary zones,
> this is why everything seems to be working well.
>
> To summarize, your 'nsd.db' file is getting corrupted (too short), and
> it seems you named the nsd.db file '/usr/local/etc/nsd.pid', probably a
> mistake in nsd.conf.
>
> Best regards,
>    Wouter
>

>> Anything I should worried about ?
>
>> It does not affect NSD 4.0 at all.
>
>> Platform: OS X 10.9. hopefully be switching soon to a real bsd system:)
>
>> zongo

Wouter,

Thanks for your reply.
Corrected my mistake :) Stupid one.

now i am getting this error:

nsd: /usr/local/etc/nsd/nsd.db wrong type of file
nsd started pid 153

its complaining about the nsd.db
I am not sure how I should go about recreating the db file.

I found an issue similar to mine -->
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/37588?project=1&openedfrom=-1+week

Kind Regards,

zongo