[nsd-users] * CNAME loop

Roy Arends roy at dnss.ec
Tue Nov 19 19:43:50 UTC 2013

Interesting…

The combination of wildcards and cnames with a nonexistent canonical name in a single record is not a good idea in general. If these records can be found in the wild, on an NSD-only server pool, this can lead to denial of service attacks against resolvers.

There is some clarifications of wildcards in the DNS that deals with CNAME. That can be found in RFC 4592. I’ve quickly glanced over it, and it seems that the behaviour is consistent with that RFC. (I might be wrong though).

Roy