[nsd-users] Geographic IP Location Based DNS Query Responding

Johan Ihrén johani at johani.org
Mon Sep 16 13:20:38 UTC 2013

On Sep 16, 2013, at 08:55 , Jakob Schlyter wrote:

> On 26 aug 2013, at 19:40, Bry8 Star <bry8star at inventati.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi, If i were to place 3 NS/DNS servers in 3 different
>> geographic/country location (for a set of domain-names), and want to
>> serve dns services to users(site-visitors) from their geographic
>> closest location based NS/DNS server first, how would i configure NSD ?
>
> Sorry, NSD can't do such magic tricks. You better look at the GeoDNS patches for BIND or the like.

While I most certainly agree with this, I'd back up one more step and ask whether there is a real problem to be solved or if this is about a perceived problem?

I.e. unless I misread the original message it was only about optimizing the order of the name servers in the response packet, not about changing the actual response to the query.

And as long as we're only talking about the order of the NS records it really is a non-issue, because that will still be subject to the resolver strategy in deciding which one is "best" for them.

Regards,

Johan