[nsd-users] nsd-control: modification of A records (DDNS)?

Michael Grimm trashcan at odo.in-berlin.de
Sun Apr 13 11:40:26 UTC 2014

Hi --

I do intend to implement my own dyndns service for two DSL routers with dynamically assigned IP addresses.

My plan is to let my routers inform my nginx servers about their IP address changes in a similar way as other dyndns services are informed (php, cgi, or alike access to a web server, password prtoteced). I do find helpful information about how to deal with that step.

What I do not know yet is: how should I update the relevant A records in the corresponding zonefiles? I do have my own primary and secondary nsd4 servers running at two distinct servers. Webservers and nsd servers do run in different FBSD service jails. Thus, I intend to use nsd-control to modify and reload those zonefiles.

Please excuse my ignorance but I couldn't find a way to modify A records in a zone. Is there an elegant way to modify an A record in a zonefile directly, or do I need to delete that zone first and reload it with the now modified A record afterwards? Sorry, I haven't used the new functionality like pattern before.

An hint will be highly appreciated, and thanks in advance,
Michael