[nsd-users] nsd-control / addzone / additional parameters

Oliver Peter lists at peter.de.com
Tue Dec 9 11:13:07 UTC 2014

Background:
  We are looking for some additional parameters in nsd-control's
  addzone function.  We have hundreds of thousands of slave zones on our
  nameservers (curently PowerDNS), almost each of them is individual in
  term of notify and provide-xfr settings so we cannot possibly use the
  pattern functionality.
  Needless to say, a static nsd.conf does not work either since our
  customers rely on instant DNS updates.

So, I had a look into the zone.list format and options.c
(zone_list_zone_insert), from there I see that the format is more or
less a fixed model and referenced all over the place.

So the actual question is:  How hard would it be to extend nsd's
journal to take care about more zone specific settings like notify and
provide-xfr?  The pattern method is nice but does not actually work for
a high number of individual zones with the possibility to be changed
immediately without reconfiguring the whole daemon.

Any hints?

Cheers

--
Oliver PETER       oliver at gfuzz.de       0x456D688F