[nsd-users] nsd3 zone file patching

Mon Jul 14 16:23:05 UTC 2014

Hi!

Regarding my previous email (nsd3 fills disk, "out of mem" during
patching) I found out that this was caused by a concurrent zone
transfer. This race conditions seems to require 3 times the typical nsd
memory size:
1. the currently serving nsd process
2. the newly span nsd process which read the new db files
3. the nsd-patch or the zonec utility

Is there a method to prevent zone transfers (and the subsequent nsd
reload) during patching? Or prevent patching during zone transfer?

Further I wonder if it is always safe to patch as during patching the
ixfr.db and nsd.db may be deleted. I suspect there may be race
conditions for example if their is a concurrent transfer and nsd itself
manipulates the ixfr.db file and the xfrd.state file. Or the transfer
may manipulate the ixfr.db file nsd-patch reads from it.

Thanks
Klaus