[nsd-users] Feature request: support systemd

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Thu Mar 6 16:15:44 UTC 2014

Hello NSD folk,

In the Linux world, the major distributions (RedHat, CentOS, Debian,
Ubuntu) are switching from the traditional init to systemd. Systemd
provides some interesting features, one of which is to hook into the
message bus, so that applications can notify it of events.

It would be nice if NSD were to support systemd. In particular, if NSD
could signal systemd that it had started up, that would make it easier
to manage. In particular, NSD should emit the "ready" signal after it
has read the nsd.db file and started listening for DNS queries, so that
systemd can invoke other apps that depend on NSD running fully (think
monitoring, OSPF and BGP as examples).

The folk at CZNIC have done some work in this area, so I hope they don't
mind me pointing to their work, so that the NSD devs have a good
reference point.

https://gitlab.labs.nic.cz/labs/knot/commit/bdb46f5e0687a649da3e86cbbb66b6c261ae574e

Regards,

Anand