[nsd-users] "update failed (acquired: 1406646354), restarting transfer (notified zone)"

Michael Braunoeder mib at nic.at
Wed Oct 1 09:27:24 UTC 2014

Am 26.09.2014 um 11:37 schrieb Michael Braunoeder:

[...]

> We see the same behavior (also with nsd 3.2.16). It run stable until we
> started to make a lot of updates to the zone. 1 IXFR out of 4 fails and
> the automatic restart of the transfer won't also work. It needs an extra
> notify to trigger the transfer again (and then it works).

I did some debugging and found some strange behavoirs. The bug is
triggered by a strange race condition including a big zone transfer, a
slow connection (results in a long running transfer) and the nsd-patch job.

I can trigger this error if I run the nsd-patch job during an active
tranfers but not all the time. There is a small time window when the
nsd-patch job kills the reloading of the zone.

Is there a recommendation how often the nsd-patch job should run? What
happens if the jobs runs during an active IXFR? I noticed that the
ixfr.db gets merged into the nsd.db but the transfer is still running
and starts a new ixfr.db. Is the nsd.db now in an inconsitent state
(with an incompleted zonetransfer applied)? Wouldn't it be better to
trigger the patch-job after a successful transfer rather then time based?

Best,
Michael