[nsd-users] "update failed (acquired: 1406646354), restarting transfer (notified zone)"

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Wed Oct 1 11:52:53 UTC 2014

On 01/10/2014 12:56, Klaus Darilion wrote:

Hi Klaus,

> On 01.10.2014 12:07, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
>> I have put NSD 4 through a lot of testing myself, and the NLNetLabs guys
>> (especially Wouter) were fantastic in working with me to iron out
>> various bugs and issues. We're using NSD 4 in production on some RIPE
>> NCC servers, and I am very happy with it. I suggest that if you are able
>> to, switch to NSD 4.
>
> Do you also have tested NSD 4.1 without database?

Not only tested, but running in production. This "nodb" mode was added
by Wouter at my request, mainly for lower memory usage. On my servers,
NSD's RAM consumption went from 25GB down to 17GB with this change.

There is a very small bug in 4.1 when using this "nodb" mode, but it
doesn't affection DNS service. The bug is such that if a slave zone
expires on NSD, and you then restart NSD, the zone gets loaded from disk
and is marked "fresh" despite its expired status in the xfrd.state file.

The fix is already in trunk, and will be in 4.1.1. Be sure to merge in
the patch from trunk for now, if you decide to use 4.1 with the "nodb" mode.

Regards,

Anand