[nsd-users] Initial request to server extremely slow after longer periods of inactivity

opendaddy at hushmail.com opendaddy at hushmail.com
Thu Apr 9 18:55:27 UTC 2015

Hi

On 9. april 2015 at 6:49 PM, "Ondřej Surý" <ondrej at sury.org> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>if you run the daemon in any environment that is resource starved
>and the process(es) gets swapped than anything will be slow on first
>request after period of inactivity. Not just NSD and not just any DNS
>server, but anything...

I don't know, someone on the FreeBSD mailinglist suggested it might be a badly configured DNS, although my syntax seems fine and my reverse has been set up properly from my ISPs side.

The thing is that there should be plenty of resources available at all times. I've even gone to the extra length of CPU limiting resource hungry processes just incase.

I read somewhere that some people use a cron script to send a request to the webserver every so often. Is this something that everybody does but that I've somehow missed? Does it have a name?

Thanks!

O.D.