[nsd-users] nsd manpages

Jan Stary hans at stare.cz
Wed Aug 26 23:13:22 UTC 2015

On Aug 26 08:35:26, mpeters at domblogger.net wrote:

> On 08/26/2015 06:41 AM, Ondřej Surý wrote:
> *snip*
> >
> >>I find the xml more readable (it converts with 'xmlto man')
> >
> >Do you? Remind me to check for a crazy look in your eyes next time we
> >meet :)
> >
> >Anyway I understand that mdoc might have more formatting options, but
> >the question is whether they are really needed for nsd manpages and also
> >whether the comfort of the authors have some priority over the tricks
> >you can do with the format.
> >
> >JFTR for the rST you can also have something they call an "option list":
> >
> >http://docutils.sourceforge.net/docs/ref/rst/restructuredtext.html#option-lists
> >
> >which works nicely if you don't need an optional parameters to the
> >options.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >

> I can't speak to man pages but XML is certainly more easy to program
> alternative interface because you can use the DOM interface or an XSLT to
> translate it.
>
> So for something like putting man pages online, XML source to the man pages
> would probably be better than man2html.

Please allow me to just say aaaaargh.

I am simply proposing to rewrite the manpages
form one markup langunage to another markup language,
which I believe is superior, for reasons better articulated elsewhere.
I am willing to do the work.

And now xmlt2whatever and docbook and all that hell comes.
Please don't.

	Jan