[nsd-users] NSD 4 / OS limitation problem?

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Thu Jul 2 07:07:01 UTC 2015

On 02/07/15 08:10, Fredrik Pettai wrote:

Hi Fredrik,

> But I stumbled upon a problem with NSD4. The log complains about
> memory allocation:

While I don't have a direct answer for this specific question, I have a
suggestion. If you set:

database: ""

then NSD will not create a .db file at all. Instead, it will XFR the
zones in and just serve them from memory. Once an hour (configurable) it
will write out the zones in plain text to disk (for reading it at the
next restart).

This mode uses less memory. On our NSD slaves with about 5000 zones,
memory usage dropped from about 25GB to 17GB.

Regards,
Anand