[nsd-users] Zone transfers between master and slave

nsd at fongaboo.com nsd at fongaboo.com
Mon Jul 27 22:13:09 UTC 2015

I have NSD on FreeBSD 10.1 running successfully as a master. I'm trying to
get it to transfer zones to a slave.

In nsd.conf on the master I have:

key:
         name: "sec1_key"
         algorithm: hmac-md5
         secret: "<secret>"

zone:

         name: "hostname.domain.tld"
         zonefile: "db.hostname.domain.tld"
         notify: <slave-IP> sec1_key
         provide-xfr: <slave-IP> sec1_key
         notify-retry: 10

In nsd.conf on the slave I have:

zone:
         name: "hostname.domain.tld"
         zonefile: "db.hostname.domain.tld"
         allow-notify: <master-IP> sec1_key
         request-xfr: AXFR <master-IP> sec1_key
key:
         name: "sec1_key"
         algorithm: hmac-md5
         secret: "<secret>"

I'm not seeing any slave zonefile showing up on the slave server. What
should I look at next to troubleshoot?

TIA

  shot through the heart              ooh baby do you know what that's worth
  and you're to blame                         ooh heaven is a place on earth
  darling you give love                  they say in heaven love comes first
  a bad name                              we'll make heaven a place on earth
  ORBITAL                                                     "Halcyon Live"