[nsd-users] unbound not accepting a stub or forward pointing to a loopback interface.

Sonic sonicsmith at gmail.com
Sat May 21 17:39:30 UTC 2016

On Fri, May 20, 2016 at 7:13 PM, Måns Nilsson via Unbound-users
<unbound-users at unbound.net> wrote:
> Bonus question: Forward or Stub? I never really got through to understand
> the differences ;-)

Generally it's: Stub - to an authoritative server. Forward - to
another cache/resolver.

Typically, for an internal use only authoritative server, I run NSD on
an alternate port on the loopback interface:
===================
server:
       ip-address: 127.0.0.1
       port: 5353
zone:
       name: "example.org"
       zonefile: "example.org.zone"
===================

This allows Unbound to listen on port 53 and bind to the loopback
address as well as others:
===================
server:
      interface: 127.0.0.1