[nsd-users] startup race leading to NOT IMPL on AXFR?

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Thu Mar 9 08:56:57 UTC 2017

On 09/03/2017 04:25, Phil Pennock wrote:

Hi Phil,

There are 2 different things here. See my responses below.

> In previous reboots, nsd would fail to start because it couldn't bind
> the addresses for serving, because they weren't yet available.  Because
> the wait-script is buggy (I now know what's needed to fix it) we only
> got a "bit" of a delay, so the first attempt nsd failed as before, but
> the third attempt succeeded: the IPv6 address was present, so nsd could
> start.  But routing was not yet present.

For this you may want to use the option "ip-transparent: yes" to allow
NSD to bind to addresses not yet available. As soon as they become
available, NSD can use them.

> [2017-03-09 02:46:57.649] nsd[1692]: error: xfrd: zone
> testdns.exim.org received error code NOT IMPL from [hidden-master]

This might be a red herring. NSD as a slave tries IXFR first. However,
the master is also NSD, and it cannot provide IXFR (because it doesn't
have any journals), so it returns NOTIMPL. The slave then falls back to
AXFR. If you want to avoid the initial IXFR (because it will never
work), set this on the slave:

request-xfr: AXFR <master> <key>

Regards,
Anand Buddhdev