[nsd-users] Question about "store-ixfr"

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Mon Dec 11 11:19:32 UTC 2023

Hi NSD developers,

I have been experimenting with the "store-ixfr" feature in NSD. I have a
configuration with:

server:
   zonefiles-write: 0

pattern:
   store-ixfr: yes

With this configuration, NSD transfers zones from a primary, and keeps
them in RAM. When the zones are updated, it receives and stores the IXFR
in RAM too. I can query NSD with the IXFR qtype, and it replies with the
appropriate difference records. Neither the zone, nor the IXFRs are ever
written to disk.

This means that NSD is using RAM for the IXFRs. Could you confirm that
NSD with the "store-ixfr" option set to "yes" will use more RAM?

Regards,
Anand