[nsd-users] NSD zone file GENERATE directive

Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM) lyndon at orthanc.ca
Mon Mar 20 23:31:29 UTC 2023

Robert Blayzor via nsd-users writes:

> > NSD doesn't understand the GENERATE directive. You'll have to create
> > your zone files using a script or template engine.

> Understood but certainly not helpful with large dynamic IPv6 PTR's...
> Not that dynamic hosts NEED PTR's, but would still be nice to have.

lex(1) is your friend.  For managing our reverse ip6 zones, we use a
simple file format (basically address, name, flags) to store the
raw address-to-hostname mapping, and then inhale that via a couple
of different template files that are processed by a simple lex(1)
program.  Works a treat, and the whole process from edit to zone-reload
is driven by a simple makefile.

--lyndon