[nsd-users] support for ALIAS records

Klaus Darilion klaus.darilion at nic.at
Thu Jan 11 10:49:12 UTC 2024

Hi Christof!

AFAIK, PowerDNS is the only open source name server that supports ALIAS. There was an idea to standardize ALIAS as "ANAME" (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-aname/), but the idea was dropped in favor of SVCB/HTTPS record https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc9460/. So now we have to wait until all Browser vendors implement SVCB/HTTPS.

Regards
Klaus

PS: If you build something new, don't use ALIAS, it can cause you problems later due to incompatibilities

--
Klaus Darilion, Head of Operations
nic.at GmbH, Jakob-Haringer-Straße 8/V