[nsd-users] support for ALIAS records

Tim Wicinski tjw.ietf at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 18:58:44 UTC 2024

Rubens

On Thu, Jan 11, 2024 at 10:16 AM Rubens Kuhl via nsd-users <
nsd-users at lists.nlnetlabs.nl> wrote:

> While SVCB/HTTPS provides a better solution for the browsing use case, I
> see other use cases where ALIAS/ANAME would be ideal, notably in apex RRs.

The HTTPS RR Type was specifically added to address the apex RR issue. In
fact, when the whole SVCB idea first came up, there was one annoying DNSOP
co-chair who was adamant that their solutions address the apex case, as it
was the biggest non-standard thing.  It's not a 100% replacement, but it is
fairly close.

I include an image of a slide which was presented by the SVCB authors on
the pros/cons between SVCB and ANAME (aka ALIAS) from an IETF long since
past.

thanks
tim