[nsd-users] Adding SRV records to zone

Stuart Henderson stu at spacehopper.org
Sat Jul 22 09:30:17 UTC 2023

On 2023/07/21 16:23, Sagar Acharya via nsd-users wrote:
> I'm asking that what is the proper method to add SRV records. I read the documentation but I couldn't find anything around it.
>
> If you can perhaps add something which specifies how each and every type of record is to be written on documentation, that would be very useful.

The zone file format is an internet standard, the basics are in RFC
1034/1035, and specifics for SRV records are in RFC 2782.

IMHO, specific documentation for each and every record type isn't really
needed, as it's not specific to NSD, though perhaps it makes sense to
add a little pointer to the RFCs (say, in nsd.conf(5) when describing
"zonefile").

> >> How do I add SRV record to my zone file?
> >>
> >> Eg. In pdns I have
> >>
> >> _xmpp-client._tcp.example.com.   3600     IN     SRV      0 5 5222 example.com

Missing a trailing . here, so the origin domain would be added -
probably would end up as example.com.example.com. Should be:

_xmpp-client._tcp.example.com.   3600     IN     SRV      0 5 5222 example.com.